Thursday, October 06, 2005

*!&@^#*!@&(*#&!*&)!^(!(#)*-*^!

I went by class last night only to find that my cheap ass battery is toast. It just won't hold a charge despite my having bought it less than six months ago. I don't know what is wrong with it, no one does, but it's crap so I'm out $50 and about a week of trying to get it to work. Now I need to order a new battery.

I decided that I might as well get to work on something since I had a few hours. Last week I had opened up the carbs case and they were sticking, so I decided to take them out. That way I could clean them on Saturday while I waited for a new battery.

I followed the instructions in the book and at the stage where it said "Now lift the carbs out being careful not to damage them" I had some trouble. See they wouldn't lift. I pulled and pulled and nothing, so I looked around to see if there was anything bolted on but there wasn’t. I pulled some more and still nothing. leaned in with all my strength and not a budge. More looking, more pulling to no avail. So I got a 2X4.

I know, I know, I know. I assumed that the rubber boots that were holding the carbs in place were just sticking and with a little leverage they would give. And they did! It really was just the rubber boots holding on! But despite that I still gave them a little to much force (though honestly I am at a total loss on how one is expected o get the carbs out without a 2X4). In any case, I cracked one of the metal parts that holds all four carbs together.

I don’t know how much it is going to cost to replace them but I think ‘a lot’ is probably the answer. Lisa saw my despair and busted out some optimism on me. She said that the part I broke wasn’t a pressure point and that we could maybe use some industrial glue to hold it together. Maybe some spot welding too. I hope so. A while back I promised to start only hobbies that were cost neutral (surfing) or that actually made money (vending) but somehow here I am with a hobby that, so far, is just costing me money.

Also I found two springs that came off the carbs. I have no idea where the go and really I couldn’t be bothered to figure it out then. Saturday is another day again.

I hope I can get this bike running.

No comments: