Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I'm Strong but Not Too Smart.

As you might recall, getting the carburetor out of the Interceptor proved much more difficult than I might have suspected and I managed to non-catastrophically break them. Since then I cleaned them, replaced the bolts I managed to lose...I'm going to digress real quick. I learned this super handy trick that probably everyone but me knows. Lets say you have a bolt and you need three more of the same size. Well if you are like me you can't just eyeball the bolt and know exactly what size it is. To find the right size bolt, just grab one of the bolts you didn't lose and take it to a hardware store. Sort through the nuts until you find a nut that fits around your bolt. Once you find that nut, go to the bolt section and find a bolt that fits in that nut. The bolt that fits will have the same size threading as the one you brought in with you. Digression over.

So I cleaned the carburetor replaced the bolts and tried to get the carbs back into the rubber boots that hold them in place. The same rubber boots that gave me so much trouble when trying to get the carbs off. I can go into length about what I tried but for the sake of sanity lets just say that lube, another guy from class and couple four foot 2X4's didn't do jack except, yes that's right, damage the plate that holds the carbs in place. A nice two inch crack right down the side. Plus of course we didn't get the carbs in.

Lisa said some JB Weld would work on the crack, and let me tell you JB Weld is like ultimate bonding agent. It comes in two tubes that you mix together. Within 24 hours it dries to provide a heat resistant bond that I firmly believe will out last roaches. It's ugly, ugly as sin really, but it'll work and it's at a spot where no one will ever have to see it again.

But that still didn't get my carbs on. That took Lisa Duke, a rubber mallet and about a minute and a half. Rather than using brute force, leverage and sweat. She just tapped gently all around the boot as I gently pressed the carbs into them. A tap here, a tap there and viola! They're in.

Every time I think am getting the hang of things I realize how much more I have to learn. This week, I'm planning to put some oil in theinterceptorr and see if it'll run. If so, then I'm buying a new chain, and radiator cap. I also need to adjust the carbs and if it seems feasible adjust the valves though I may wait on that to see how it runs.

No comments: